The four-star Empire Hotel Subang, done up in a mix of Oriental and ultra-trendy style, is a delight to say the least. We like the red carpet running the length of the lobby with Chinese characters quoting â€œThe Art of Warâ€ by Sun Tze. Ornate chaise lounges, carrot orange and green bucket chairs, stained-glass ceiling lamps and gilded mirrors complete its modern-retro and royal-Chinese look. Set about 30 minutes away from the city centre, business-friendly facilities include a ballroom that can accommodate 300 people, five meeting rooms and a business centre. Meanwhile, there are little extras to keep guests occupied leisure-wise: Empire Shopping Gallery is just downstairs, while free shuttle service takes you to Sunway Lagoon, Sunway Pyramid, Mid Valley Megamall and One Utama. Though the hotel has no onsite pool and gym, they take care of its absence by offering guests complimentary access to the pool and gym in the Fitness First centre in the mall. Complimentary breakfast can be had at Kitchen Art Brasserie (a fusion restaurant beside the lobby), but do not leave the hotel without sampling the absolutely fantastic dim sum offerings at Di Wei Chinese restaurant or letting your hair down at Shout lounge.
Gold carpets in the hallways and expressionist artwork of famous cityscapes lead to Empire Hotel Subangâ€™s 198 non-smoking rooms. At 34sqft the entry-level Premier Essential room has a designed-for-business-travellers layout: there is a private work area with an ergonomic desk chair, a bathroom in the centre and a bedroom with a flat-screen TV offering satellite channels and on demand movies. In-room amenities include a rainforest shower, a queen- or a pair of twin-sized beds, chargeable Wi-Fi, an iPod docking station and standards like a mini-fridge, electronic safe and coffee and tea-making facilities. Our favourite room by far is the Empire Optima, an ultra posh split-level unit decorated in all white Victorian style. Offering floor-to-ceiling windows that flood the space with lots of natural light, a dining area that seats six, a fully-equipped kitchen and a living room with a flat-screen and DVD player, this room is perfect for honeymooners.
This Hotel is recommended for: >> Shopping, >> Business Travellers, >> Families, >> Couples, >> Honeymooners
What we loved:
- Direct access to Empire Shopping Gallery, which is home to over 180 stores
- Empire Sanctuary Floor rooms: our favourite is the Empire Optima, an all-white split-level unit, mixing 19th century royal Victorian charm with modern luxury - perfect for honeymooners
- Express Check Out box - simply drop your key card in and leave: your account will be processed and credit card billed later
- Welcome antioxidant drink: chrysanthemum and wolfberry to aid decongestion and release toxins
- Free shuttle service to Sunway Lagoon, Sunway Pyramid , Mid Valley Megamall and One Utama
- Di Wei Chinese Restaurant: some of the best dim sum in KL
What you should know:
- Hotel set about 30 minutes away from the city centre
- No onsite pool or gym but guests have access to the Fitness First gym (which has a pool) in the mall
- In-room amenities include an iPod docking station, chargeable Wi-Fi and a flat-screen TV
- For the safety of our guests, the swimming pool and fitness centre is open to guests above 18 years old only.
- Free wifi
- In-room accessibility